Monday, June 4, 2012

Adventures at Home

A travel blog without the travel is admittedly not the most interesting. Some days I think, "It's been a week, I should probably post something to get into the habit of this 'blog' nonsense." Then I remember that all I've done thus far is sit around the house watching TV and playing with my cat.
To be fair, he's a really cute cat
At the moment, I'm stuck in limbo. For the past year, I've been planning for a life that has yet to come to fruition. I have been slowly gathering documents and making appointments and checking off boxes in preparation for the big move to Madrid. I am waiting for the next step, for the next stage of my life to begin. Come September I will be heading across the Atlantic, moving in with my boyfriend after a year of long-distance, and starting a new job. It's no small feat. But it in the meantime, I am living with my parents, with no job and no social life.

With an abundance of free time and an absence of money, I started running. Perhaps running isn't the right word. I lumbered along in some imitation of a jog. Nevertheless, it was the easiest way of getting out of the house without a specific destination, and only required a pair of shoes. I followed the Couch to 5k program, and eventually improved to the point where I could run 30 minutes non-stop. I decided to reward myself by signing up for an actual 5k race.

It's worth noting, for those unaware of my personality, that sports and I mix like oil and water. I avoided organized physical activity as a child and throughout my teenage years, opting instead for the drama club and academic decathlon. Running so much as a mile resulted in side-stitches and shame.

But for some reason my twenty-three year old self thought that willingly waking up at 5:00 am on a Saturday to run 3.1 miles sounds like a grand ol' time. 
Look at all that fun
What does this all have to do with Spain? I could draw a parallel and write about perseverance, and the rewards of stepping out of your comfort zone. While this is all true, I mostly just want to brag about running five kilometers and not dying.
Whoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment