Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Anniversary

Celebrating an anniversary is a personal affair between two people, and writing about it on the internet only serves to brag to strangers that your relationship hasn't failed yet. Congratulations, you want a medal or something? That said, it's my blog, and I can do what I want. Nyah nyah.

So today marks Álvaro and my two year anniversary. That's two years longer than I thought we'd have together. I don't mean to sound cynical, but we had met at the tail end of my study abroad adventure. I was leaving Spain on the first of May, and in that time I would be spending a week in Italy. All in all, that left just two weeks of actual physical time together, not including class and work. Although I had already started forming a plan to come back to Spain, I wasn't expecting a relative stranger to wait a year and a half for me. I figured we'd enjoy a brief but pleasant two weeks together and go our separate ways. That didn't stop me from tearing up when my plane landed on American soil. 

The first of many photos

That summer, our Skype conversations became a daily occurance. My parents and friends were, at this point, well aware of my long-distance friend. Eventually, he started dropping hints about visiting the states, and he bought a plane ticket. Thankfully, my parents reacted well (I think) to the news that my friend? would be staying at our house for a month. That trip solidified our relationship status, we spent the next year and a half in a long-distance dance. I flew back to Madrid the following January to meet the parents, and he came to California twice after (once in February, and then again in August).

Álvaro's first time in California

Here we are, two years later, living under the same roof. Hopefully this is only the beginning. Happy anniversary, Álvarito. Te quiero.

1 comment:

  1. Tell that young man your auntie wants him to "put a ring on it". I'd love to see you married with babies!

    ReplyDelete