Thursday, April 4, 2013

Interim

Semana Santa is over, and it's back to work. Since I've slacked in regards to posting, I've figured that now would be a good time to update on the little things that have happened between La Granja and Barcelona. Adjusting to a new country hinges on forming a routine. For the first six months, life was constantly changing. Álvaro and I were furnishing the apartment, and every other week I was battling a new ailment. I barely had time to meet new people, and consequently it was a rough few months.

I can't say I feel completely settled, but I've since adapted to life in Spain. Some of it I attribute to pure luck. This year, they've opened both a library and a gym less than five minutes from my apartment. I now fill in the awkward two hour lunch break with Spanish-language books, and I try to dedicate at least an hour after work to go to the gym. It's a good excuse to get out of the house and feel like I've accomplished something that day.

I've also started to find cafés, bars, and restaurants which have become my "go-to" spots on the weekends. Almost all are in the Malasaña neighborhood of Madrid (known for being young and trendy), and all attract American expats. I enjoy Spanish culture, but after spending almost eight months here I find comfort in more Americanized specialties: craft beer, brunch, latte art--all of which are a bit out of the range of "typical" Spanish cuisine.

On a more interesting note, I also witnessed a gas line explode on my street in early March. I had a birds-eye view from my terrace before deciding that I should probably evacuate the building, at which point the power was shut off, making it a moot point to hang around in a dark apartment.

So that's about it, I suppose. Have some photos.


Gas line explosion

I test my mediocre art skills on my 2nd graders
Finally found good beer in Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment