Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Strawberry Fields Forever


I mentioned earlier that I was eagerly awaiting warmer weather. Well, with the flip of a switch I've traded my wool coat for a pair of sunglasses because SPRING HAS ARRIVED. On Saturday we were graced with the most glorious weather. I hardly knew how to react to being warm, after spending six months bundled under layers. Álvaro and I took advantage of the weather and ate sandwiches in Retiro Park and walked around the city center. Madrid is a different animal when the sun comes out. The streets are suddenly packed with people who, like myself, want to enjoy the brief interim before the summer heat sets in. We finally caved and bought some table and chairs to put out on our terrace, so now we can enjoy a view of the city while we have dinner.

Even Álvaro, who is normally more inclined to spend his weekend at home (to be fair, between work and school the guy doesn't get much downtime), suggested we take a day trip to Aranjuez. Aranjuez is a city at the southernmost tip of the Comunidad de Madrid (Madrid community? Madrid province? State of Madrid?). It is most well-known for its royal palace, sprawling gardens, and strawberries. Two years ago I watched an episode of Made in Spain, where José Andrés takes a train to Aranjuez and eats the tiniest strawberries, which are apparently too delicate to be shipped elsewhere. Since then, I've wanted to go there myself and try some.


Álvaro didn't exactly share my excitement, but he was a good sport while I pouted and said, "No, not those big strawberries. They have to be the little ones." My parents used to call me Veruca Salt. I can't imagine why.

In all seriousness, Aranjuez was a relaxing day trip. It's not as visually stunning as Toledo or Segovia, but the large royal gardens offer the opportunity to spend a day enjoying the sunshine without needing to actually do much. We walked, we ate bocadillos, we took photos.

In front of the palace.

The royal palace

Fresones con nata -- Large strawberries with cream

In the garden





And yes, I did get those strawberries.
Sweet victory. Tastes like wild strawberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment